Small Press: Reviews

Information: ‘Urban Beasts’ is Written by Daniel Hartwell and Anna Rubins with artwork by Karen Rubins. It is a 24 page black and white manga style comic from Itch Publishing.









Review: This is the first time I have ever read (or even seen) anything from Itch but I have been aware of them within the whole UK SP community, so I was really looking forward to get into one of their comics.

Urban Beats issue one is about a character called Milo who for reasons I’d expect are revealed later on starts seeing animal heads on humans. You are also introduced to a second character called Caipora who… well actually I’m not going to say as it gives the game away. You’re going to have to go out and buy it to find out… go on… off you pop.

I’ve not been a big fan of Manga style artwork but I found this to be very pleasant to look at if even a few panels did seem a bit off but really when the other 99% are inch perfect then why quibble. Scripting duties by Daniel and Anna have produced a very good first issue with tight dialogue and a very interesting tail to tell (see what I did there). This is a great little comic and I suggest you should go spend your hard earned money on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment